Including the Theravada and Mahayana Traditions at
the Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced Levels
Teachers, students, and friends of Bodhi Monastery have suggested these readings; therefore, this is not a complete or impartial selection. We’ve included readings from both the Theravada and Mahayana traditions at the beginning, intermediate and advanced levels.
We hope it is a useful resource and study tool for yourself and to share with others.
The readings are divided into two distinct lists; the General Buddhist Reading List and the Modern and Personal Perspectives Reading List.
The General Buddhist Reading List:
- tries to capture the most general and important teachings of various traditions, teachers, etc., that we are familiar with;
- restricts itself to the titles that deal with basic Buddhist teachings rather than with aspects of Buddhism from highly personal points of view;
- includes a broad range from beginner to advanced, casual to scholarly, specific to comprehensive; and
- lists specific teachings of certain genres only if the suggestions were expert.
Our review and editing of the list were based on the presence in the reading materials of fundamental Buddhist principles; that is to say, the main criterion was that the reading material be based on proper Buddhadhamma / Buddhadharma
- in accord with Dependent Origination (paticca-samuppada);
- in accord with the Four Noble Truths (cattari ariya saccani); and
- in accord with the Three Characteristics (ti-lakkhana).
In terms of practice, the readings were selected in accord with the practice of morality, meditation, and insight-wisdom (sila, samadhi, and panna).
The Modern and Personal Perspectives Reading List
- represent a selection of presentations of the Dharma / Dhamma from a variety of interests and perspectives; and
- some selections are what prompted their readers to study and practice of Buddhism.
We have provided the lists below as a PDF for your convenience and as a Microsoft Word Document so that you are able to sort and search the lists by any category that you prefer.