Meditation instruction by Ven. Bhikkhu Kai Yin
Meditation retreat will be conducted in Chinese Mandarin with English translation.
|Date:||September 27 – 30, 2018|
The Three Day Program is designed for beginners with little or no experience in Mettā meditation (the development of Loving-Kindness towards self and others). This meditation practice leads to peace, happiness and a greater ability to love. It is also a development of concentration. This 3-day weekend plus retreats, led by Ven. Bhikkhu Kai Yin, will take place from September 28th to 30th 2018, at Bodhi Monastery.
I. About the Retreat
Mettā Bhāvanā, meditation on loving-kindness, is one of the most ancient forms of Buddhist meditation practice, one that has been passed down in an unbroken line for over 2,500 years. It is also the first of the four brahmaviharas (divine abiding), with the other three being karuna (compassion), mudita (appreciative joy) and upekkha (equanimity).
The Pali word mettā is a multi-significant term meaning loving-kindness, friendliness, goodwill, benevolence, fellowship, concord, and non-violence. The Pali commentators define mettā as the strong wish for the welfare and happiness of others as well as oneself. Bhāvanā means development or cultivation. The practice of loving-kindness helps to bring happiness to the mind, and to build a good foundation for Samadhi (concentration).
The most ancient extant Buddhist collection of texts, the Pali Canon, identifies a number of benefits from the practicing of mettā meditation, including:
- Happily one sleeps.
- Happily one wakes.
- Dreams no bad dreams.
- Loved by human beings.
- Loved by non-human beings.
- Protected by the devas.
- Neither fire, poison, nor weapons can harm one.
- One’s mind gains concentration quickly.
- One’s complexion is bright.
- One dies unconfused.
- If penetrating no higher, one is headed for the Brahma worlds.
The meditation retreat will include a series of well-scheduled activities, including daily Dharma talks, step-by-step instruction on practicing mettā meditation, group sitting meditation and periods of walking meditation.
II. Registration Note
- We kindly ask that all meditation participants attend the entire retreat from start to finish. Please read the retreat general guidelines for details.
- Please submit your application here Online registration.
- Admission is limited to 45 participants.
- Suggested donation amount: $200 or more. Monastery is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt religious organization, we welcome your generous donation. All donations are tax-deductible.
- Sign-in: September 27th, 2018 @ 3:30- 4:45 pm
- Retreat ends on: September 30th, 2018 @ 3:00pm
III. Time Schedules
|Time||09/27 (Thu)||09/28-29 (Fri-Sat)||09/30 (Sun)|
|05:00-06:15||Morning service, Meditation|
|06:30-08:20||Breakfast / Chores|
|08:30-09:15||Eight precepts, Instruction||Instruction|
|11:00-13:15||Lunch / Chores, Rest|
|13:30-14:15||12 Stretch Forms||Packing for departure|
|14:30-15:15||Instruction||Cleaning up and Departure|
|17:30-19:00||Shower Time/Personal Time|
|19:15-19:45||Sitting Posture Adjustment||Meditation|
|21:00-21:30||Nighttime Preparation/Light out|
* 17:30@Sat.: Group Picture.